Ten sons and daughters of employees are receiving college scholarships from Norfolk Southern Corporation under the company's annual scholarship program.
Two are recipients of the National Merit Scholarship. They are:
- Alexandra Logan, daughter of Bob Logan, assistant terminal superintendent, and Ruth Whitworth-Logan. She will graduate from Altamont School, Birmingham, Ala.
- Laura Starling, daughter of Hugh Starling, director network systems, and Elizabeth Starling. She will graduate from Chamblee High School, Chamblee, Ga.
Recipients of Norfolk Southern Special Scholarships are:
- Brent Aldridge, son of Don Aldridge, senior manager purchasing, and Cheryl Aldridge. He will graduate from Franklin County High School, Rocky Mount, Va.;
- Melinda Boggs, daughter of Cary Boggs, senior designer, and Dana Boggs, accounting clerk. She will graduate from Hidden Valley High School, Roanoke, Va.;
- Kathryn Cook, daughter of Katie Cook, director accounting research and analysis, and Steve Cook. She will graduate from Norfolk Academy, Norfolk, Va.;
- Marissa Gogniat, daughter of John Gogniat, national account manager, and Anita Gogniat. She will graduate from Gateway High School, Monroeville, Pa.;
- Steven Guinn, son of Steve Guinn, training coordinator, and Ronda Guinn. He will graduate from Powell High School, Powell, Tenn.;
- Alanna Koehler, daughter of Steven Koehler, conductor, and Sandra Koehler. She will graduate from Triton Regional High School, Runnemede, N.J.;
- Shelby Lyons, daughter of Clem Lyons, chief clerk, and Barbara Lyons. She will graduate from Old Bridge Adult High School, Old Bridge, N. J.; and
- Daniel Russell, son of Lindsay Russell, tax counsel, and Susan Russell. He will graduate from Matthew F. Maury High School, Norfolk, Va.
National Merit Scholarship Corporation, an independent, nonprofit organization, selects scholarship recipients. For detailed descriptions of the scholarships sponsored by Norfolk Southern and other corporations, refer to the NMSC Web site, www.nationalmerit.org.
Norfolk Southern Corporation is one of the nation's premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway subsidiary operates approximately 20,000 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a major transporter of coal and industrial products.