Ten sons and daughters of employees are receiving college scholarships from Norfolk Southern Corporation under the company’s annual scholarship program.
Two are recipients of the National Merit Scholarship:
- Alexander Booth, son of Cary Booth, assistant vice president intermodal service development, and Jane Booth. He will graduate from Norfolk Academy, Norfolk, Va., and
- Rachel McFarland, daughter of John McFarland, engineer, and Julie McFarland. She will graduate from White Knoll High School, Lexington, S.C.
Eight are recipients of Norfolk Southern Special Scholarships:
- Haley Beckett, daughter of Kenneth Beckett, retired signal maintainer, and Nancy Beckett. She will graduate from Norwalk High School in Norwalk, Ohio;
- Lauren Dryburgh, daughter of Joseph Dryburgh Jr., general manager Thoroughbred Direct Intermodal Services, and Susan Dryburgh. She will graduate from Upper Merion Area High School in King of Prussia, Pa.;
- Harold Haldren III, son of Andy Haldren Jr., road foreman engines, and Valorie Haldren. He will graduate from Liberty Christian Academy in Lynchburg, Va.;
- Alex Kowalski, son of John Kowalski, conductor, and Kathy Kowalski. He will graduate from Valley High School in New Kensington, Pa.;
- Caitlin McDaniel, daughter of Ricky McDaniel, hy-rail dump truck driver, and Catherine McDaniel. She will graduate from Fauquier High School in Warrenton, Va.;
- Kristin Ré, daughter of Arthur Ré, sheet metal worker, and Shay Ré. She will graduate from North Lincoln High School in Lincolnton, N.C.;
- Sarah Richardson, daughter of Linda Richardson, senior designer, and Stephen Richardson. She will graduate from Atlanta Girls School in Atlanta; and
- Vanessa Taveras, daughter of Timothy Mauch, electrician, and Maria Mauch. She will graduate from Maumee High School in Maumee, Ohio.
National Merit Scholarship Corporation, an independent, nonprofit organization, selects scholarship recipients. For detailed descriptions of the scholarships sponsored by Norfolk Southern and other corporations, refer to the NMSC website, www.nationalmerit.org.
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is one of the nation’s premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway subsidiary operates approximately 21,000 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a major transporter of coal and industrial products.